Hyundai Motor Group said on Sunday that it will launch a demonstration project that links energy storage system (ESS) reusing discarded batteries from EVs with solar power plants. The project comes after the government, in a regulatory sandbox program, allowed Hyundai Motor and others to carry out projects that upcycle waste EV batteries to develop ESS.
Under the pilot project, Hyundai Motor will store energy generated by its solar power plant inside its Ulsan factory in a two-megawatt-hour (MWh) ESS before supplying it to an external power grid. Two MWh is enough amount of energy for five four-member households to live on for more than a month.
The project is expected to improve environment-friendliness of reused EV batteries and maximize stable supply and effectiveness of volatile renewable energy sources such as solar power, water power, wind power, tidal energy, and geothermal heat. Data achieved from the pilot project will also help settle related licensing regulations at home.
OCI will use waste EV batteries of Hyundai Motor Group at solar power panel-use ESS operated by its subsidiary OCI Power. OCI has already installed an ESS that utilizes Hyundai Motor Group’s 300-kilowatt-hour reused EV battery at a 727-kilowatt solar power plant in Gongju, South Chungcheong Province.
OCI plans to carry out an analysis comparing the performance of reused EV batteries of Hyundai Motor Group at its ESS and other new batteries.
Hyundai Motor Group has been putting out efforts to take the lead in projects that reuse waste EV batteries. In 2018, the conglomerate that owns Korea’s two biggest automakers Hyundai Motor Co. and Kia Motors Corp. entered into a partnership with Finland-based global energy firm Wartsila. Last year, it also signed various technology partnership agreements with Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power, Powerlogics, OCI, and Hanwha Q Cells.
[ⓒ Maeil Business Newspaper & mk.co.kr, All rights reserved]
ⓒ 매일경제 & mk.co.kr, 무단전재 및 재배포 금지
매일경제 주요 뉴스
해당 언론사로 연결됩니다.
- Samsung, LG to highlight pioneering screen tech at virtual CES 2021 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Seoul shells out record high of $11 bn in unemployment benefit in 2020 - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- BTS to open Samsung Galaxy S21 online unpacking Thursday - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- GM Korea vows comeback with facility investment and new releases - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- Retail ownership in Samsung Elec doubles, outweighs institutional holding - Pulse by Maeil Business News Korea
- ‘이병헌 협박’ 김시원, 5일 만에 별풍선 수익 7억
- [단독] "알바 뛰는 것보다 낫네"…국내 첫 `돈버는 게임` 단숨에 1위
- 모모랜드 아인, 파격 비키니 자태…섹시美 폭발 [똑똑SNS] - MK스포츠
- 윤석열 "아내 김건희, 대선 출마에 도장찍자고"
- 세리 "코로나 확진→미각·후각 사라져..폐렴까지 앓아"